Thursday, December 1, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Somedays I feel like we are experiencing a chapter from "Little House on the Prairie".  Living in rural Northern BC is always an adventure: extreme weather combined with unpredictable farm animals equals a life of constant suspense. Help isn't always willing to travel 25 minutes out of town, and so we have relied on our neighbours' experience, ingenuity and way of just making do.  
Today was one of those Pioneer experiences, the winds started in the morning and progressed to nasty gusts over 50km/h.  It wasn't long after we got home from school that the power went out.  A certain wave of pleasure rushed over me as my day's chores simply became much shorter without power.  The daylight was waning and so my girls and I gathered up candles and lit the woodstove fire.  We realized that we didn't have much food resources for supper without power to cook it up.  A quick text  to my hubby and I informed him of our dilemma.  He assured me he would bring home take out  which we could enjoy by candlelight.  The girls and I gathered together near the woodstove and read by candlelight. It was a cozy Little House on the Prairie moment.  An hour later, the big truck pulled in and soon the scenario changed to hustle and bustle.  My superhero hubby began wrangling extension cords, bumbled around in the garage, dusted off his virgin generator and fired it up on the front door step.  He was home to save the day! He came dancing into our living room and  quickly plugged in the TV set! 
And so we enjoyed KFC by candlelight and watched a talent show on tv.  Not quite the picture I had envisioned, but a modern simple pleasure nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment