I'm looking outside and it's dull grey, the wind is blowing icy cold. The snow has melted some and the mess of farm dogs is exposed. Daylight took a long time to come and the house is quiet except for the sound of the wind in the windows and the hum of the washing machine. I'm alone except for the one who is recovering from her travels on mission. The day feels empty and purposeless. My floors are washed clean, the laundry is tackled, dusting is done, and the dish rack empty. I feel troubled in my spirit, like the wind rustling the empty branches of the poplar trees outside. Is there a crack in my frozen heart which knows of something greater than this?
I am pondering the next season of my life with the a cup of strong hot coffee hoping for a much needed jolt. My children are growing up; embarking on big new adventures and preparing to leave the nest. For some unknown reason it feels like I am the one standing nervously at the edge of the nest peering at the icy barren ground. But God pulls me back in and says come rest awhile and enjoy a leisurely read. Tales of adventure and encouragement warm the heart like a wood-stove on a blustery morning. Once again I am reminded that winter will not endure forever. The sun will warm the earth again and with that fresh new life. I catch a glimpse of that now, as I watch the birds of the air dart in and out of the barren trees to their nests anticipating Spring and I hear the low melodic bellow of a cow to her newborn calf.
So I light the fire, and settle in my corner with the good book...
Spring will come. God is good. His faithfulness endures forever.
When I find my soul in winter
ReplyDeleteWhen I’m lost, alone or grieving
And the joy of life seems just a silent dream.
There seems no hope for tomorrow
No escape from pain and sorrow
But I know in Christ things are not what they seem.
For He comes and lights the darkness
With a promise for tomorrow
Jesus is the light and hope on which we lean.
The birds still sing,
Though the nights are cold and long
The birds still sing.
For the promise of the springtime
God has etched upon their hearts
And they celebrate the sunshine with a song.
Thanks for sharing Michelle. Just as the earth rests between productive seasons, rest is also good for us.